What is CBD?
Whether you’ve heard your friends talking about it, or seen new shops popping up in your local mall, there’s no doubt that you’ve likely heard something about CBD. While the CBD rage is growing rapidly, many people aren’t clear about what it is, how it works, what it’s good for, or how to choose the right product.
CBD stands for “cannabidiol” which is one of over 100 chemical compounds found in the cannabis, or marijuana plant. The CBD compound has no psychoactive effects, unlike THC, a different compound present in the cannabis plant responsible for a “high”.
How CBD Works
Our bodies all contain a complex system of receptors called the Endocannibinoid System (ECS). These receptors are responsible for regulating a variety of systems including sleep, immune function, appetite and pain. The body produces endocannabinoids, which are neurotransmitters that bind to these receptors in your nervous system. It is believed that CBD interacts with these endocannabinoids, which can then change their effects.
While CBD has several potential benefits, the most common uses we see are:
- Sleep – it can help with both falling asleep and staying asleep.
- Pain – it reduces inflammation and interacts with neurotransmitters that cause pain.
- Anxiety/Depression – it acts on the brain receptors for serotonin, or the “feel good” chemicals in our bodies.
- Cancer Related Symptoms – it can reduce symptoms related to cancer such and nausea and vomiting.
- Acne – Used topically, it can reduce the inflammation associated with acne, as well as reducing the production of sebum.
- Neurological Disorders – it has been found effective in alleviating muscle spasticity in neurological disorders like multiple sclerosis and epilepsy.
Choosing a CBD product
The most common forms of CBD are either oil or topical. The oil is an oral tincture that is more typically used for sleep, anxiety, chronic pain, or other systemic issues. The topical is either a salve or lotion that can be used on the skin for things ranging from pain to burns, cuts, wounds or acne.
As with any supplement purchase, it’s important to buy from a reputable source. Unfortunately, supplements and CBD are not regulated the way prescription medications are. Therefore, you want to be well educated in the product you’re getting. We carry a brand that fully manages their product from planting to bottling and is all organic. Every one of their products contains a batch number that allows you to see the exact measured lab values of that batch. They also carry a variety of different products formulated to best meet your needs.